Saturday 7 March 2009

Swimming in saigon

Well I made it to Saigon, and its been an interesting few days. I am back to being alone, but I have met a few people so spend my evenings with. Its so stupidly hot here, with 90% humidity, you cannot step outside the hotel without a full on melt down and losing 3 pints of sweat. Its lovely!
I spent the 1st day wondering round the markets, parks and museums. Its a crazy city where the traffic is unbelievable, crossing the road is not for the faint hearted. You just have to step out and the hundreds of motorbikes just swerve round you. I dont think it is something I would ever get used to. I just run along behind the vietnamese people!!

That evening I met a guy who went by the name of 'Intrigue'. He was from London, ironically he was not that Intriguing, but we did enjoy a few beers and it was nice to be back in the company of english people just for 1 night.

On the 2nd day I visited Cu Chi tunnels, where the Viet Cong hid undergorund while fighting the Yanks. Pretty amazing really, but easy to understand why they won now, they just outsmarted them (not too difficult). The tunnels are so small only the vietnamese can fit. I managed to make it through 130m of tunnel, but they are dark and small. I got my arse stuck a few times. Time to start the diet I think!!

The following day I took a trip down the mekong river, it was OK but too many stops for tacky souveniers for my liking. I did meet 2 nice swiss girls though, who I will keep in touch with.

Today has been crazy. I went off to see Kevin who I met in the Philippines and got caught in a downpour. Its unlike any other rain I have seen. Within 2 hours of rain, the water was nearly waist height in the streets, the city seemed to carry on regardless though. The motorbikes either powered through or got off and pushed their way. My taxi dropped me where it could go no further, so I had to get out and swim/wade bak to the hotel!! Once I got back I realised I hadnt eaten and I would have to go back out to a cafe for something to eat, then I swam over here to catch up on some email.

I am not too sure how I will leave later as I am catching the night bus up to Nha Trang, and getting my backpack through the river will be an experience. I think it will have to go on top of the head somehow!! Maybe I will find a nice vietnamese chap to help.

Better go, I need to dry my clothes and get my bikini on before I get the bus out.

Hayleyxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Hope you have a successful swim and get your stuff out o.k. Am emailing separately. Keep safe,
    Lots of love x x x x

    ReplyDelete