Monday 16 March 2009

Vietnamese whirl

So I have been a busy bee the past week. I successfully caught my bus overnight up to Nha Trang, a really posh one with proper bunk beds and movies.
Nha Trang is a little seaside resort with average beaches, average diving and average night life, so I didnt stay too long, just 2 days. On the 2nd day I met a local guy who offered to take me into the south central highlands on motorbikes for 3 days. It seemed a bit of a gamble given that I hadnt met him before, hadnt ridden a bike before and didnt know anything about where we were going....but having just finished Ewan Mcgregors book about riding round the world on a motorbike I felt inspired to just go for it.

It was a fantastic trip, one of the bext things I have done. We left all the tourists behind and went driving through stunning mountians and villages, taking in lots of the different ways of life, and sampling the best food I have had all holiday. Just 50p bought you a feast for a king with a few beers to boot! The 1st evening he offered to buy me a bottle of rice wine with dinner (at 10p a bottle it was hard to say no to!), and we tucked into that as he introduced me to some of his friends. The 2nd day was much the same, but started with a visit to some authentic hill tribes which is family originated from, which we had to get to by elephant (!!), and some visits to the local silk worm factory, coffee plantations, waterfalls, temples etc etc. It was nice to visit some of the lesser visited places, as the locals are much more friendly and arent trying to see you stuff all the time!

After this trip I took another night bus (this one was more eventful as the driver attacked a passenger with a crow bar and had to be carted off to the police station!!), and arrived in Hoi An. The town is really really pretty, and is shopping heaven. The town is full of tailors who will make you anything, so I have got 2 dresses, a suit, skirt, shirt and 2 pairs of jeans to bring back with me....

I didnt have time to finish the north of Vietnam (and it is cold), so I left today to fly back to thailand for my last 10 days of sun....starting with a 3 day liveaboard dive trip....4 dives a day, I cant wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Hayley - sounds like you have had a brilliant few days. Travelling by motor bike and elephant makes a change I suppose... whatever next?
    Will email before the weekend.
    Much Love,
    mummy x x x x x
    p.s. Finn says "don't go with strangers"!! but it is a bit late for that now.

    ReplyDelete